Over the last week or so, I’ve been getting a massive number of hits from StumbleUpon on a post I wrote over a year ago called “How you know you’re with smart people“. At the time I wrote it, I’d just come from a group discussion populated by people who made sure everyone knew they were the brightest people ever to walk the Earth. They weren’t of course, but you know the type.
Apparently, semi-humourous, mildly critical posts are liked by readers. They’re always the ones that get the most hits, even years after.
So, in case you haven’t been reading me for all that long, here are my selection of the naughtiest posts I’ve written.
- How to tell you’re with a smart person. See above.
- 5 signs you’re stuck with an oxygen thief. Another post that happened after a particularly terrible meeting, this time with an attendee who just couldn’t keep his mouth shut no matter how many times we tried to change the subject. We all have people like that at work, I think.
- 5 Reasons you should pull “The Lever”. This one is a commentary on how terrible it is to be stuck with bad technology and a bad meeting.
- In my ongoing war – thankfully now ended – with Ivory Tower architects, I wrote this one after they’d just shut down a really innovative proposition I was trying to get done “just because”: A Letter to Architecture.
- An open Letter to the Business: Naughtiness in a similar vein when the Business-IT divide got a bit too wide.
I have to admit, I’ve gotten myself into some hot water with these from time to time. But they were fun to write at the time, and I hope you find them fun to read right now.